Still, we are doing our homework and plowing though some baby books. Some are definitely helpful, while others I am struggling to see the benefit. The stakes are so high they say! Do this right or Connor will be damaged for life! Think I am kidding? Below is a passage from the intro to one of the books. In case you can't make it out, it reads "Warning: If your child does not learn to sleep well, he may become an incurable adult insomniac, chronically disabled from sleepiness and dependent on sleeping pills". Okay then...

While this may be true, I question the wisdom of putting this in the introduction to a thick, ominous book on parenting. We are freaked out enough, thank you very much, and this pronouncement is so over the top it is almost humorous. I can think of some other warnings to put at the front of these books: "Warning: you are a total moron and despite everything you do your kid may grow up to be a jerk," or "Caution: you did not grow up in a hunter-gatherer tribe fighting for survival in the stone age. So most likely you know nothing about babies and therefore yours will grow up to be Charles Manson. Good job Dad."
2 comments:
What about this one - Warning: If you read too many books and listen to everything your friends and parents say, you will need permanent sedation. I think you guys really should just do what comes "naturaly" ;)
agreed! I've found that moms and moms-in-law really do have the best good, practical advice. (they raised good kids, right?) Otherwise it's a bunch of hooey and people who think they know everything because they have a bunch of letters after their names. That being said, the best we've seen is "the happiest baby on the block" and "the happiest toddler on the block" by... oh geez. I forget. But anyway, it's a smorgie of soothing strategies. Quick and simple. And I happen to think that mother nature is very kind to give us a helpless little being that gains personality and movement slowly rather than giving us 2-yr olds with attitude. We learn and adapt as we go. Every kid is different. I had barely even held a baby, much less had to care for one before PJ, and he's great! Well, the current giraffe obsession is a bit much... :) I'm sure that Connor is and will continue to be as wonderful as his parents!!
Post a Comment