Friday, January 1, 2010

The Importance of Grandparents

We are very fortunate to have my parents moving to town to live close to their new grandson. My father offically retired from a distinguished career at the end of 2009. The eventual plan is to escape from Salt Lake (sounds like a good movie title) and summer with my brother in Portland and winter here in ABQ with us. At the beginning of December they closed on a town home about a 15 minute drive away. This will help us out immensely over the next few months, as Grandma Daycare will ease the transition of Ali back to school.


Helping Dad assemble some Ikea furniture for the new place

But more importantly than the help, is the fact that the grandparents will be a big part of Connor's life. Personally, I couldn't be more pleased. We moved a lot when I was growing up, and unfortunately never near family. I only met my Dad's parents twice (as they were in South Africa) and I was too young to really remember. We would spend the occasional summer with Grandma on my Mom's side when growing up, but even then I would have liked to see more of her. (I actually got to know Grandma best as an undergraduate at Penn State which was absolutely wonderful).

So it will be fantastic to have grandparents around for young Connor. Ali's parents I think plan to see quite a bit of him too, as they don't just want to be holiday grandparents. So I think young Connor will be in good hands.

No comments:

A scientist, a student, and a toddler try to make their way through the tumult of everyday life. What will happen to them next? Stay tuned...