Friday, January 1, 2010

The Arrival

It has been a while since we posted. I feel like I have adjusted well to my new state of sleep deprivation and now that the reinforcements are here (Grandma and Grandpa Schloss) helping out, I feel it is time to get back to the blog....


Ali contemplating the night ahead and looking pensive

I think we both knew that our little friend was soon to arrive on Friday the 18th. The car was all loaded up for the hospital, and we were just waiting. To distract ourselves, we went out for a late dinner to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant as we were contemplating things to come.

I will spare the details (if you want them, please feel free to talk to Ali!), but to summarize: Ali awoke at 1 am on Saturday the 19th with her water broken and we rushed off to the hospital. A mere 3 hours later at 4:21 am, Connor David Scrymgeour was born weighing in at 8 lbs 1 oz and length of 20.25". It all happened so quickly that our hero (Ali), did the whole thing au naturale. She was incredible.


The little man of the hour

The rest of the morning/day was sort of a blur, as I spent most of the day down in the nursery with Connor while he was checked out. He actually had a slightly traumatic first few hours, as they needed to lavage him a few times to remove excess fluids from his tummy, to bathe him (which he did not like at all), and to try several times unsuccessfully to draw blood (all told he was stuck 7 times with needles). The break gave Ali a good chance to sleep though, and eventually he was sent back to spend some quality time with Mom. My job done, I promptly fell asleep for 12 hours (the first 2 hours precariously perched across 3 folding chairs in the recovery suite). Eventually we moved into a room with double beds, and we got to spend the next 48 hours recovering and getting to know our little boy. Before I forget, I want to give a huge thanks to G, J, & X for visiting us and bringing yummy food while we were in the hospital and to M for sitting with Ali and relieving David so he could run home to shower and change- you guys are the best!


The happy family, and David sleeping after an exhausting first day

No comments:

A scientist, a student, and a toddler try to make their way through the tumult of everyday life. What will happen to them next? Stay tuned...