Tuesday, September 13, 2011

NZ: Antipodean Connor

So how did our little traveler do on this trip? Very well! He loved having a house full of people around at all times to play with, especially his Granny and Oupa. From a life point of view, I think it was marvelous that my parents spent an uninterrupted two weeks in close proximity to this guy - something that wouldn't have happened otherwise. I think everyone enjoyed it too.


Left: a little scratched up after taking a header out of the van, and right: at the playground.

He recovered pretty quickly from his flight over, and settled into a pretty normal routine the second day of our trip. The only complication was he fought sleep even more at night and was very clinging. Not sure if it was all the changes to living arrangements or schedule or what, but it made it a little hard on Ali as she was the only one who could put him down.


We have joked that on our previous trip to New Zealand we took hundreds of amazing photos of the natural beauty of New Zealand, but this time our photos read as a travelogue of playgrounds on the other side of the world! Most of our days consisted of waking up early with him and playing until the rest of the house woke up. Then most likely for some activity before lunch and a nap, than another play session usually at a park in the afternoon. Again, it was really nice to travel with friends with a toddler, as they understood the flow of a day with a toddler.

Personally, I will treasure my time with him on this trip. It was fantastic to have all my family around, and I absolutely loved spending so much time with Connor at this fun age. As we close in on Connor's second birthday in just three months, I am reminded that time flies, and I am sure before too long I will be staring at the surly teenager in my house and wonder how my little guy got so big so fast.

No comments:

A scientist, a student, and a toddler try to make their way through the tumult of everyday life. What will happen to them next? Stay tuned...