I pretty much talked this to death on our other blog here and our team blog here. But to recap now that we are over a month out - so worth it!
This year it shifted more from a personal experience to a captain/team experience. There were 19 other riders that cycled the ride this year of which 16 were new riders. I really felt the need to provide everyone the best experience possible, so I spent all of July and August organizing rides, cycling said rides, organizing parties for the team, drumming up fundraising, talking people into riding, motivating new riders, and so on... Kept me very busy. But in the end very worth it. The team is self sustaining now, with them organizing a few rides while we were on vacation, and a significant contingent riding some of the other rides here in the fall. So success!
We were the number 2 fundraising team this year, raising over $19K, and we were by far the most visible and vocal team at the ride (chants of Domo, hula hooping at rest stops, among other shenanigans). We have been asked to take over a quiz fundraising event scheduled roughly for May of next year, so I hope the level of involvement by all the riders continues. We hope to get some family members to ride with us next year, and are talking about doing a destination ride somewhere maybe in the next few years. I intend to do this ride as long as I am physically able, so looking forward to many more years!
But, while it was a success, it is nice to take some time off (and not have to cycle hours every weekend!).
This year it shifted more from a personal experience to a captain/team experience. There were 19 other riders that cycled the ride this year of which 16 were new riders. I really felt the need to provide everyone the best experience possible, so I spent all of July and August organizing rides, cycling said rides, organizing parties for the team, drumming up fundraising, talking people into riding, motivating new riders, and so on... Kept me very busy. But in the end very worth it. The team is self sustaining now, with them organizing a few rides while we were on vacation, and a significant contingent riding some of the other rides here in the fall. So success!
We were the number 2 fundraising team this year, raising over $19K, and we were by far the most visible and vocal team at the ride (chants of Domo, hula hooping at rest stops, among other shenanigans). We have been asked to take over a quiz fundraising event scheduled roughly for May of next year, so I hope the level of involvement by all the riders continues. We hope to get some family members to ride with us next year, and are talking about doing a destination ride somewhere maybe in the next few years. I intend to do this ride as long as I am physically able, so looking forward to many more years!
But, while it was a success, it is nice to take some time off (and not have to cycle hours every weekend!).
No comments:
Post a Comment