It is championship rugby season right now. The collegiate national championships were played this past weekend in Stanford, which saw the Penn State Women get their first back to back national championship, and their sixth since 1997 when Ali's team first took home the title. The PSU mens team this year fell in the round of 8 to the eventual men's champions Cal Berkley. I watched snippets of the men's championship game, watching Cal beat BYU (a game that I can honestly say I was not cheering for either team - I dislike both programs so much!...but more on this later).
This upcoming weekend is the also state championships for my high school men's team, and the first time that Ali's women's program will be having an end of season play off too (although not technically a championship). Unlike the past 4 seasons I have coached this side, we are probably not in the running for the state championship cup after having a losing season. We have a very young side this year with only 3 seniors from last years team. Rugby is a game in which experience counts for a lot, especially since most players don't grow up watching it. We have lost a series of very close games (by less than 5 points each), so I think our team still has the ability to compete with most of the teams here in NM. So we have the advantage of being underestimated, and I hope my kids can pull of some much needed emotional wins this weekend.


Pictures from the glory days - from the PSU Collegian online archives
I find this championship season incredibly nostalgic as I think back with fond memories and remembered glory to my time as a player. In retrospect, especially with regard to championships, I must say that it was pretty amazing. (If you are really curious, look at articles here, here, and here which feature my time at PSU.) Being a much smaller sport than most played in the US, the chance to make it to a national playoff venue is actually relatively high (especially compared to basketball or football for example with their tens of thousands of athletes at all levels). That being said, my career was actually pretty distinguished, which is shocking, considering how hopeless I was at sports for most of middle and high school!
I played in two national championships while in high school (1993 and 1994) making it as high as 4th place, and competed regularly in close matches with our nemesis the 18 time national champion Highland team of Salt Lake City (oooh, I still dislike them intensely - and most of their team goes on to play for BYU which is why I dislike them too). When I played in college, I started for two of the strongest sides that the Penn State men's program fielded, the 1996 and 1997 teams. We make it to the finals of the collegiate championships both years, losing both years to Cal Berkley (in 1997 with final score 41-15 and the details of the game in 1996 is lost to time).
Only in looking back do I realize how incredibly lucky I was! I do not consider myself a particularly athletic individual, so having the opportunity to play in 4 national championships competitions was pretty amazing. I especially marvel at my time as a collegiate athlete. but the full scope of what we as a team didn't sink in until very recently. I didn't really consider I was an "athlete" at the time, I always considered myself more of a big nerd who studied all the time and happened to play rugby. Watching the current Penn State side in their playoff games this year, and when they came out to ABQ two years ago for the round of 16, I can safely say that if I was at Penn State now, I do not think I would not be on the squad. The athleticism of the players are astounding, and the amount of work they put in is incredible. Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly worked hard in college - I spent a lot of time training - lifting, running, etc.. - doing all the things that it takes to get into rugby shape (in my opinion, aside from maybe boxing or wrestling, some of the most fit athletes around considering the mix of strength, power, and endurance you need), and of course practicing and playing games. But next to what the current batch of guys do, it was nothing. The level of professionalism in the game is continuing to improve every year.
So looking back I am amazed. I can chalk up my time as a championship level athlete to being very fortunate, because now that I am on the coaching side of things, I see now how much work goes into making a side that can even compete at that level - either high school or college. I think my kids here are great and very talented, but we would not make it very far at the national level (maybe some day though). I have handed off several athletes to the UNM rugby program, and while they have a very good coach and a young team, it will be a few years before they get back to the strength they were a few years ago when they too were chasing the championships. But I wish them luck.
This upcoming weekend is the also state championships for my high school men's team, and the first time that Ali's women's program will be having an end of season play off too (although not technically a championship). Unlike the past 4 seasons I have coached this side, we are probably not in the running for the state championship cup after having a losing season. We have a very young side this year with only 3 seniors from last years team. Rugby is a game in which experience counts for a lot, especially since most players don't grow up watching it. We have lost a series of very close games (by less than 5 points each), so I think our team still has the ability to compete with most of the teams here in NM. So we have the advantage of being underestimated, and I hope my kids can pull of some much needed emotional wins this weekend.


Pictures from the glory days - from the PSU Collegian online archives
I find this championship season incredibly nostalgic as I think back with fond memories and remembered glory to my time as a player. In retrospect, especially with regard to championships, I must say that it was pretty amazing. (If you are really curious, look at articles here, here, and here which feature my time at PSU.) Being a much smaller sport than most played in the US, the chance to make it to a national playoff venue is actually relatively high (especially compared to basketball or football for example with their tens of thousands of athletes at all levels). That being said, my career was actually pretty distinguished, which is shocking, considering how hopeless I was at sports for most of middle and high school!
I played in two national championships while in high school (1993 and 1994) making it as high as 4th place, and competed regularly in close matches with our nemesis the 18 time national champion Highland team of Salt Lake City (oooh, I still dislike them intensely - and most of their team goes on to play for BYU which is why I dislike them too). When I played in college, I started for two of the strongest sides that the Penn State men's program fielded, the 1996 and 1997 teams. We make it to the finals of the collegiate championships both years, losing both years to Cal Berkley (in 1997 with final score 41-15 and the details of the game in 1996 is lost to time).
Only in looking back do I realize how incredibly lucky I was! I do not consider myself a particularly athletic individual, so having the opportunity to play in 4 national championships competitions was pretty amazing. I especially marvel at my time as a collegiate athlete. but the full scope of what we as a team didn't sink in until very recently. I didn't really consider I was an "athlete" at the time, I always considered myself more of a big nerd who studied all the time and happened to play rugby. Watching the current Penn State side in their playoff games this year, and when they came out to ABQ two years ago for the round of 16, I can safely say that if I was at Penn State now, I do not think I would not be on the squad. The athleticism of the players are astounding, and the amount of work they put in is incredible. Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly worked hard in college - I spent a lot of time training - lifting, running, etc.. - doing all the things that it takes to get into rugby shape (in my opinion, aside from maybe boxing or wrestling, some of the most fit athletes around considering the mix of strength, power, and endurance you need), and of course practicing and playing games. But next to what the current batch of guys do, it was nothing. The level of professionalism in the game is continuing to improve every year.
So looking back I am amazed. I can chalk up my time as a championship level athlete to being very fortunate, because now that I am on the coaching side of things, I see now how much work goes into making a side that can even compete at that level - either high school or college. I think my kids here are great and very talented, but we would not make it very far at the national level (maybe some day though). I have handed off several athletes to the UNM rugby program, and while they have a very good coach and a young team, it will be a few years before they get back to the strength they were a few years ago when they too were chasing the championships. But I wish them luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment