Monday, April 23, 2012

Volunteerism

I am 2/3 of the way through rugby season with a month to go.  It is that time of the season where, while I still really enjoy it, I am ready for it to be over!  My other big effort of the year is just starting to heat up - my involvement with the MS 150.  This year we are trying to grow our cycling team, the Penulimates, to increase both ridership and fundraising.  Two years ago we started with 5 riders and $7000 raised and last year we grew to 22 riders and $19000 raised.  This year we are off to a good start at 23 riders, and I have no idea where we will end up!  We are planning two big fundraising events as well, a return to last years successful paired whisky tasting event, and a try out a Trivia Night (maybe all those nights of Geeks who drink will pay off).  We were offered the event by the local chapter of the MS society who due to limited staff could no longer host it.  So we are now trying to pull of a successful fundraising evening!  This involves lots of planning, coordinating, calling businesses, seeking donations, etc.  Lots of work, but excited to see what we can do something like this.  (And by we, I mean both Ali and our friends B & A).

From last years Paired Scotch Dinner
These things do take a lot of time, but like any busy modern person I have limited time to split between family, friends, work, house work, leisure, and sleep. So should I consider this time and effort I am devoting to rugby and the MS150 take time directly away from other things in my life?  Yes of course, time is a finite resource.  I like to think I am converting my leisure time (aka sitting on my butt watching TV or mindless surfing) to productive ends, but it could be that all those weeds growing in the side yard are there because of rugby.  

Lets face it, everyone has more interests than they have time, so I feel it is important to chose things that both have a positive impact on the world and something that you enjoy.  I really enjoy and feel it is important to get involved in the community/volunteering (using these terms loosely to encompass anything that is not a purely solo endeavor like a hobby). We moved a lot when I was growing up, and I think this rubbed off on me in many aspects of my life.   This a subtle "just passing through" attitude manifested itself in never sending down strong roots in places I briefly lived, maybe not cultivating friendships, a certain aloofness from social activities, etc. I became aware of this attitude while in grad school, and since moving to ABQ I have consciously gone against this and really wanted to jump into life here with both feet.

I take a lot of inspiration from my moms side of the family who have always had strong volunteer streak.  My uncle and aunt were both vigorously involved in their local Jaycee's and devoted a lot of time to organizing the National Apple Harvest Festival. Contrast that to my parents, who aside from some Rotary Club involvement I vaguely remember from very young, never really got involved in the places we lived aside from activities related to my brother and I (e.g. coaching soccer, etc..)  My guess is the only difference between them is the living in one place compared to the constantly moving.  Considering we have lived in ABQ for almost 7 years (holy cow!), it is almost like we have lived here forever.

Certainly my attitude is a reflection of my own upbringing, and I want to get involved in things.  I also want Connor to grow up to see this as a normal way to be.  Find your passions, live them, and engage with those around you.

No comments:

A scientist, a student, and a toddler try to make their way through the tumult of everyday life. What will happen to them next? Stay tuned...