Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Accomplishments

The boy has really slowed the pace of work around the house. He needs a lot of attention and into everything, but more importantly, who wants to work when you can play with the boy? I mean, come on!

But there were a few things we needed to get done before Ali's parent s arrive next weekend. Most important was to replace the toilet in the sunroom, which has been turned off for about a month due to mysterious constantly running water and other ominous sounds. We bought a replacement a while ago, but it has just been taking up room in the garage. We figured we would just do it some night after Connor went to bed, but that never happened.

So this weekend, we did it the dangerous way - when Connor went down for a nap we jumped into action. Now, Connor can sleep anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour and a half, so this was a brave plan. It was sort of like diffusing a bomb, we were toiling away when at any minute we could cut the wrong wire and blammo! But we got it half installed before he woke up, and I finished the rest while Mom put him to bed. Go us!


Left: the chalkboard, and right: pickled goodness!

We also finally got around to ordering and installing a magnetic chalkboard in our kitchen. We wanted a place to write grocery lists and menu plans, and since we can't hang magnets on the fridge, we also wanted a large area to hang artwork from our budding artist. I finished hanging it last night, and tonight I turned our LPO share of beets into yummy red wine and horseradish pickled beets.



Finally, my favorite accomplishment - I finally got around to making our magnetic Lego key rack. Got the idea while at the Lego store last year in Chicago, and have been obsessing for a while and just got around to getting all the Lego keyrings from Ebay. Now we have organized all our keys to various neighbors and friends houses in an easy to find and identify order (no more bringing along 3 sets of keys in hope that we brought the right ones!). It was actually a fun project, that only involved minimal desecration of a few Lego pieces - drilling some holes into the pieces to glue in place high strength magnets. Now this sits in a prominent location on the new chalkboard. I think it looks pretty cool.

I think tomorrow I will tackle world peace. Or maybe just play with the boy.

No comments:

A scientist, a student, and a toddler try to make their way through the tumult of everyday life. What will happen to them next? Stay tuned...