For the last three years, I have been biking to work as many days as I can. It is a really nice ride, about 11 miles round trip which is about a 25 minute ride in the morning, and one in the evening. Albuquerque has beautiful weather most of the time, and I have biked almost every week of the year. I brought along a camera and recorded my ride one morning (and survived my biking photojournalism to tell the tale).
The start of my ride is to wind my way through the neighborhood south to the airforce base.


For the most part it is pretty flat, with almost imperceptible uphill grade on the ride to work (biking toward the mountains away from the Rio Grande). The only problem I usually encounter is wind, which strangely enough seems to be against me both ways. Sometimes the wind is so bad whipping across the wide open spaces of the base, that I either brave the sand blasting of the dust and sand blowing off the desert (good for teeth whitening, bad for lungs) or call for a rescue. But that is not very often. The left picture below is the view looking east toward Sandia peak, and another view of the bike path ahead.


One of the best parts of the ride is past the prairie dog town. They pretty much have free reign on base, and are usually scampering around and chiding me for biking past. I can usually spot some burrow owls here if I show up early enough, but they were no where to be seen today. Oh, well - maybe next time.


The ride ends at my building, where I go in and shower, all perky and ready for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment