Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I love Apple

Note: The was mostly written before the passing of Steve Jobs, visionary. I honestly don't like displays of grief for people you really don't know (like the whole Princess Di thing), but for someone I didn't know at all, it does make me a little sad. It is also a little personal, because I just lost someone dear to me rather suddenly to pancreatic cancer. So farewell, Mr. Jobs.

I must admit I am a fanboy. I have a love for all Apple products. What else could explain our move from just a single Mac I use at work to a total of 11 apple products (a laptop, a desktop, some Airports, an iPod, an iPod touch, 2 iPod shuffles, an iPad, a Time Machine, and most recently Ali's iPhone).

Nerd anectode ahead: What makes me love Apples products is their ease of use. Case in point, the morning of our big overseas trip to NZ the hard drive went kablooey on the desktop after a zealous toddler discovered the toggle switch on the power strip. I tried booting it up but got the gray screen (the much more refined and nice looking equivalent of Window's blue screen of death). A few more chances but it was not booting up. Slightly worried, as the majority of pictures and movies of Connor reside on that hard drive, we headed off on our trip.

So when we got back, I spent about an hour monkeying around. I got it to start from a disk, reinstalled the operating system, and then seamlessly reinstalled our computer from the Time Machine (a combo wireless router and hard drive which wireless backs up your computer every 20 minutes). Shazam! A fixed computer back to it's state about 10 minutes before it melted down.

It was pretty easy. Not "Mom could figure it out" easy, but easy. The fact that the computer had been quietly preparing for the end of days in the background without me noticing made this work out. This is why I love Apple products.

No comments:

A scientist, a student, and a toddler try to make their way through the tumult of everyday life. What will happen to them next? Stay tuned...