In Ali's most recent rotation, she has a position at a hospital which means her hours are not 9-5 Monday through Friday. This past weekend, my 3 day weekend, Ali needed to work Thursday through Monday. So that meant I was sole provider for the boy for 3 whole days.
Before you start to say, wait a minute, that is no big deal - your the dad. I would totally agree - I am not complaining about doing it, nor indicating that I am incapable. Just excited, I had not had the opportunity to do this so far. Usually our weekends are a family ordeal with me getting to see lots of the boy and lots of Ali. But this weekend it would be all boy.

At the zoo riding the train for the 2nd time in a row
So each morning we would start by dropping Mom off at the hospital and then head of for some adventures. We hit up the botanical gardens, aquarium, zoo, and lots of playgrounds. Time shopping and running errands. And lots of wrecking the place (what we refer to as playing with Connor at home - they are basically equivalent). Now admittedly I am not mom, but my bragging rights were that he took 3 hour naps all 3 days (something that mom has yet to do).
So both boy-o and Dad survived each others company for three solid days. We had fun, and were pretty excited to see Mom when she got home at night. Could I do this all the time? I would like to think I could. I had lots of fun, and he is at such a neat age. Sure, strictly looking at the numbers probably 50% of parenthood is a little boring (oh, you want to read that book for the 10th time in a row?, let me try to feed you as do anything but eat, diaper time already?...) but these moments are tempered by the fact that they are fleeting and will not return. It is part of the whole parental experience, and one that I like to push up my sleeves and fully immerse myself in. So I was glad I got to have these 3 days with him, just Dad and Connor.
No comments:
Post a Comment